Students are introduced to the fundamentals of systems engineering tools and approaches through hands on problem solving exercises. Systems Engineering tools/methods are applied to a clinical problem. Upon completion of this course, the participants will have had exposure to system engineering tools and approaches such as process mapping, bottle-neck analysis, queuing, lean engineering, simulation, optimization, dealing with uncertainty, what-if analysis, quality control and performance monitoring techniques.
The objective of this course is to introduce the fundamentals of systems engineering tools and approaches through hands on problem solving exercises. Specifically we will:
- Discuss the applicability of systems engineering in a healthcare setting.
- Develop familiarity with systems engineering tools and approaches.
- Recognize opportunities for improvement where systems engineering can be employed.
- Identify a specific clinical problem in a real-world setting that can be analyzed using systems engineering.
- Conduct an in depth analysis of a clinical problem using one of the tools/approaches presented.